Mum bought me an Original Mountain Marathon Classic 32 pack for my birthday in 2013. I chose it from an online retailer after conducting a heap of research about trail running packs. The bag wasn’t available in Australia at that time so I had to take a punt on an online product sight unseen. And I am glad that I did. This bag packs a lot of punch for it’s tiny 700g weight.
I have been using my OMM Classic 32 for trail running, day walks, paddling, adventure racing and backpack traveling. And it’s stood up to everything I’ve thrown at it so far. The fabric is lightweight, so I do not recommend coming too close to it with scissors or a knife. I know because I accidentally cut a hole in my pack within a fortnight of buying it. I haven’t done anything to repair the hole and it hasn’t spread at all. Currently (as visible in the photo above) I am carrying everything I need for a full month traveling Indonesia in the pack including my laptop and a spare pair of flip flops.
What I like about this pack:
- It’s lightweight (700g) so I don’t lose any of my carry on allowance to the pack itself.
- It has a handy removable foam pad inside that works well as an emergency sleeping mat or as something soft to sit on.
- It has a handy external pockets. On the lid is great for sunglasses so they don’t get scratched. On the sides for drink bottles. And on the front for those things you need access to or don’t want in your pack (like flip flops or wet clothes).
- It has a comfortable waist band with pockets on each side so I use them for my phone (which I use as a camera) and wallet).
- It has a simple design so no space is wasted with multiple compartments. There’s just a nice big open area in the pack for gear.
Who do I recommend this pack to? Anyone looking for something simple, light and comfortable for hiking, traveling and adventure racing / rogaining.